The core components of a urinary system are kidneys, bladder, ureters, and urethra. An incident of infection in any of these components is commonly referred to as the Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). The chronicity of such infections in a few cases can make them either unresponsive against the treatment or cause recurrence of the medical condition in the patients. The infection is usually considered minor if it is confined to the bladder. Once it starts to affect the kidneys, however, it becomes more threatening and hospitalization is recommended in such circumstances for a thorough treatment plan to be followed.
Symptoms Of Urinary Tract Infection
A few of the common symptoms which are most frequently associated with a UTI are as follows:
- Change in the color of urine. It gets darker or bloody.
- Frequent episodes of pain in the region below the ribs or closer to the lower back.
- A need to urinate more frequently than usual.
- Bladder pain.
- A complaint of burning sensation at the time of urinating.
While such an infection is not bound by gender, age, or ethnicity, the incidence of UTI recurrence has been found to be significantly higher in women. If you have had an incident of Urinary Tract Infection, it is imperative that you take precautions to prevent its recurrence. The following simple tips and strategies are known to help a great deal in minimizing the risk of UTI recurrence in women.
Tips To Prevent Urinary Tract Infection Recurrence In Women
- Delaying urination once the urinary reflex has been activated can have health implications. For the women who are susceptible to UTI recurrence, however, it is especially essential to urinate as frequently as possible. You can make it a habit of increasing your daily water consumption to reduce the intervals between urination. With excess water and frequent urination, it is convenient for your body to cleanse itself of the unnecessary bacteria.
- Bladder irritation is to be prevented at all costs. Therefore, alcoholic drinks, as well as coffee or even the juices made out of citrus fruits, are strictly prohibited. If you are fond of drinks, cranberry juice should be your choice.
- Upon urinating, it is imperative to clean yourself properly from the front all the way to back. The susceptible women should avoid pants with tight fitting and even the undergarments should be worn that are made out of cotton with reasonable breathing space.
- All sexual intercourses should proceed with appropriate lubrication. It is recommended for the women to urinate right after the intercourse as well. Moreover, the use of birth control such as spermicides or diaphragms are to circumvent during the course of susceptibility for UTI recurrence.
- Last but not the least, opting for regular checkups and tests, and keeping your urinary system thoroughly monitored can also help in prevention of the UTI recurrence.
Remember that medication is also available not only for the treatment of the Urinary Tract Infection but also for its prevention. The prolonged use of such prophylactic antibiotics, however, can have a range of side effects and associated drawbacks. Therefore, the use of medication MUST only proceed with the doctor’s prescription.